A links-style post seemed to be the best way to get up to date on the news and rumors around the club... so here it is.
After a fast start to the January window for Newcastle United with a player moving in and a player moving out of Newcastle and rumors of further negotiations, things have gone off the boil a bit. Nothing seems eminent at this point, and the rumor mill has gone from high speed to sort of lightly turning as if blowing freely in the breeze. Here is what we "know" currently about Newcastle targets:
He said: "So far we have not had contact with Inter. And according to our knowledge there has not been an offer. The same applies to Reading. "Newcastle? We begun discussions with them in the last transfer window, but there are no negotiations now. Three Bundesliga clubs want him and we have already rejected a formal proposal. "Now we have to wait. Douglas is focused on Twente and he is a player who has always done well for the team."
The Douglas story is an odd one. We have been reported to have agreed a fee with Twente regarding the player (July 1 or thereabouts). Fulham have been reported to have agreed a fee with Twente regarding the player (last week of the summer transfer window or thereabouts). We were reported to have a deal done to allow him to stay in the Netherlands through August so that he could get his Dutch citizenship and represent the Oranje. Now currently, we are apparently not talking to him at all.
Newcastle have targeted France Under 21 centre-back Nicolas Isimat-Mirin as they look bolster their defence and aid their Premier League survival bid. France international right-back Mathieu Debuchy arrived in a £5.5million deal from Lille last week and £5m-rated Isimat-Mirin could be the next French star to arrive on Tyneside, according to Daily Star Sunday.
Isimat-Mirin is the newest defensive player connected with Newcastle United. As an U21 international, he certainly fits the "young with potential high upside resale value" part of the player acquisition philosophy - which is fine. Except for we need a first team-ready player NOW. Not to say this guy couldn't be it... but we have a dearth of 20-year-old players (give or take a year) who are making no impact on this team currently. You'll have to forgive me if the idea of having another doesn't set my hear aflutter.
Anigo told L'Equipe: ‘The only window we could open this winter is for Loic Remy. If a big club comes and is interested then we will see. Apart from Remy nobody else will leave.’ All three of Remy’s suitors are in the bottom half of the Premier League and it is unclear whether they would fit Anigo’s ‘big club’ criteria. However, Marseille are in financial difficulty and would find it very hard to reject any offer approaching £10m.
You have probably read of QPR jumping Newcastle in the race to sign Rémy (perhaps through SonicRover's share here.) "Reported" by The Independent, that particular angle has been picked up by no one else and seems to be based upon the idea that QPR have players on their books at £80,000/week wage level while Newcastle United do not. Wages will enter into it, for sure... but there is always the possibility that we could pay more than what we have on the books at this point (small possibility), QPR can't or won't pay £80k a week or Rémy will take some amount of a smaller wage to not go to QPR. The transfer window is a strange thing... but what we do know is that 'Arry has been to Marseille to try to convince the club and player to do the deal, and nothing seems to have been solidified at this point. As noble as it sounds when the club says that they only want Loîc to go to a "big club", ultimately their interest is for themselves and their financial situation. If they are interested and want the player, Newcastle will pay the entirety of the £10m transfer fee up front... something that I'm not certain QPR can do.